kovex ars falcions

Moderator: Moderators

Matt Easton

Re: kovex ars falcions

Postby Matt Easton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 am

From my point of view, as historical replicas, kovex are rubbish. They only look like swords from about 20 metres away and don't feel like swords at all. However, I would say that of most reenactment swords, Armour Class included (though they do also make semi-sharps and sharps, which are good replicas of swords).
At the end of the day, a reenactment 'sword' is not really a sword, it is a blunt steel object that is designed to be fairly safe and look fairly like a sword. That is it. It is not designed to function as a sword and in most cases is not even designed to be a replica of a sword.
For blunt swords that are as close to a replica of a real sword as you can get you need to go to St.George Armoury or Albion or suchlike. Armour Class and Pavel Moc reenactment swords are sort of borderline in terms of being replicas in my eyes, and both makers can make blunt replicas if you ask.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm

On the subject of good sword manufacturers, who is recomended?

Obviously St George and Albion, any others?

What about Heron Armories?

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

narvek

Postby narvek » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:48 pm

as I can speak only for czech swordsmithes:
Červenka http://www.sword.cz/
Bárta http://www.templ.net/english/who_is_patrick_barta.php
Figura http://lightswords.cz/ (no english version though)
Luděk Hugo Vobořil http://www.historickezbrane.cz/

that's about it;)

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:What about Heron Armories?

Tim supplies swords to many of us in the DDS and if you ask him to make your blades suitable for WMA he will make you something much closer to a real blade than the usual re-enactment blunt.

I also got Tim to supply me with a lovely falchion, based on the Thorpe falchion, earlier in the year which turned out excellent in all regards.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Matt Easton

Postby Matt Easton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Interesting that he'll do more historical swords if asked - I'd only seen his reenactment beaters before and they looked and felt like giant spoons. :D

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 pm

To be fair to all the above sword-smiths, if you are getting something "off the shelf" so to speak then you are getting pot luck whichever supplier. I think as a purchasers we have to be specific enough when ordering to allow the craftsman to create the correct item for us. This includes letting them know blade thickness, balance point etc etc.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Earl Mortimer

Postby Earl Mortimer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 pm

one of the funnist things i saw at one of fight training sessions was a( non-member) friend who turned up as a guest, was telling us all how good his Kovex sword was and how we as a group should consider having them on our " suppliers list" for the group.

Well you can guess what happened when we started to train. First hit( LA Sword) and his Kovex sword went snap. :D :lol: :lol: :rock:

We didn't talk about Kovex swords again :thumbup:

The Swords Of Mercia Society
http://www.swordsofmercia.co.uk/
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk/

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:24 pm

I bet you did...and gigled about it a lot.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 pm

I have had a kovex sword as my primary training weapon for years. I think I bought one when I very first saw their stand.

It is light, strong and was the sword that people wanted to borrow when they were training (rather than our training swords). I let them and it was fine. It got used pretty constantly through our training sessions (2 hours every Tuesday and Thursday) including several full contact fights.

The only issue I have ever had is that the quillion came loose. They took it back and repaired it despite it being out of warranty. A few people in God's Company have Kovex swords and I can only think of one person who had any issue with them (well two, if you include Jim!).

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Spurious

Postby Spurious » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Ayliffe's Steve wrote:I have had a kovex sword as my primary training weapon for years. I think I bought one when I very first saw their stand.

It is light, strong and was the sword that people wanted to borrow when they were training (rather than our training swords). I let them and it was fine. It got used pretty constantly through our training sessions (2 hours every Tuesday and Thursday) including several full contact fights.

The only issue I have ever had is that the quillion came loose. They took it back and repaired it despite it being out of warranty. A few people in God's Company have Kovex swords and I can only think of one person who had any issue with them (well two, if you include Jim!).

To be fair, I believe that most of the Kovex swords we have in the group are of an older generation, mostly bought before the big price rise of a couple of years back, perhaps it is a case of decay of production quality over time?

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Ah, I did not know there had been a decline. My sword is, I think, 4 or 5 years old now?
Although it needs some repairs to it as the quillion is going again :-(

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 am

Interesting point raised by Matt- I inherited a cavalry sabre when my Dad died. Being who I am I had a few little swings with it in the back garden. The difference between a re-enactment blade and a live sword is extraordinary. I understand why 'real' swords are called 'live' now.

To add to the Kovex comments, I had one that I was quite happy with as an every-day weapon, but it broke just out of warranty and they were entirely disinterested- even though the blade had flown through the air at a public event. This was one that was bought about 5 years ago. It didn't burr though.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I had a chance to handle some 'real' swords from the royal armouries reserve collection earlier this year - very interesting, I recommend it.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

narvek

Postby narvek » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:50 pm

I did some makiwara(straw mats) cutting with a live katana. Wholeheartedlly recommeds to try, gives you a whole ne world of understandig how the blade needs to be used to actually cut, not break.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 am

I think you mean "tatami".

Makiwara is a wooden striking block. You'd need an axe to get through one of them!

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

narvek

Postby narvek » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 am

Yes, sorry, it was a long time ago;)
Tatami put on top of makiwara. Correct name of cutting it is tameshigiri. Need to learn some more japanese.

Anyway the point I tried to make is that the cutting is much harder than people imagine, you have to make a fluent move and put your body into it etc. Good fun though.
or you could try it this way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4j3mvrDyQ

Hellequin

Postby Hellequin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Save up and buy a "proper" sword.

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Narvek is right. Cutting with a sword is probably harder after doing re-enactment.

When I hit closed foam pool floats in a re-enactment style with a sharp sword nothing much happened. A big noisy impact but no cutting at all. Skin is tougher than pool floats.
Repeat but projecting force and drawing the blade and they literally jumped apart as the sword sliced them to bits.

It makes the Japanese demonstration of skill where the swordsman cuts to a person but does not harm them look a bit less impressive if the average re-enactor can do it (whether he wants to or not!)

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Dave B wrote:I had a chance to handle some 'real' swords from the royal armouries reserve collection earlier this year - very interesting, I recommend it.

Seconded. It was facinating. They're quite open to organising this for groups of re-enactors, though you do have to pay for the 'event'. They prefer if you can do it on a week day though.

Cat, what did you feel was the difference?

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “1100-1500”