Cauldron to cook in

Moderator: Moderators

Langley
Post Centurion
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 pm
Location: West Midlands

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by Langley »

Lady L's cooking pot has been re-enacting for well over 10 years - admittedly that means it is not in everyday use and it has lost one handle but is otherwise in fine fettle.

User avatar
gregory23b
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Gyppeswyk, Suffolk

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by gregory23b »

I think that is the point, that pots in daily use, every day, will have a shorter life span.

We use a lot of crockery at Hampton Court, even then it is for only about 30 odd days a year, we do break the odd one, often through stacking, on the odd occasion through droppage.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

User avatar
Sophia
Post Centurion
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:46 pm
Location: Camberwell, London
Contact:

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by Sophia »

gregory23b wrote:I think that is the point, that pots in daily use, every day, will have a shorter life span.

We use a lot of crockery at Hampton Court, even then it is for only about 30 odd days a year, we do break the odd one, often through stacking, on the odd occasion through droppage.
I think that you would find that if you used the pots 365 the breakage rate would be closer to that in your modern household. The problem with re-enacting is much of the equipment spends a lot of time in storage and/or being transported to and from events and generally unfamiliar to handle.

I have been experiencing similar problem since we moved getting used to the geometry of my new kitchen which has led to a couple of breakages, some spectacular spillages and some nasty burns from my new ovens (which have different dimensions and a flap down door not a swing out one). My other experience was doing a Tudor cooking job and using my beautiful new set of knives from Tod which resulted in me cutting myself as they do not have the same weight, shape and balance as my equally ferocious modern knives at home. :$
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

User avatar
gregory23b
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Gyppeswyk, Suffolk

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by gregory23b »

A lot of sherds of say clay three legged pots show a consistent type of breakage around the base, where they have become heat stressed and either the base has dropped our, one of the legs has popped.

Constant use of clay pots causes them to wear, abrasion is a common one, I can remember old clay pots my granny had, they were old but not valuable but over time suffered from use.

On top of that, often clay pots were broken in the course of their use, some posh dishes call for a pot to be filled with food, cooked then smashed open, certain alchemical and artistic processes involved the destruction of the pots after use.

There is also repair of pottery, maybe we don't do that enough.

At the Palais, we performed some experiments on pot breakage, using old stock that was innapropriate for our use, we wanted to get an idea of what might happen to the bits when pots break in a busy working environment. We dropped single items and then ventured into stacks. We made a few presumptions, that in a busy kitchen the pots would of course be tidied away, but maybe the big bits picked up and the smaller pieces swept either to the side or maybe even into the fire for later removal with the ashes, the possibility of dust pans was also allowed for. We reconstructed a pot that had been broken, we tried as diligently as we could to find all the bits, but inevitably bits were lost forever.

I hope that Gandi took some photos, I know he did.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Friesian
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by Friesian »

gregory23b wrote:
At the Palais, we performed some experiments on pot breakage, using old stock that was innapropriate for our use, we wanted to get an idea of what might happen to the bits when pots break in a busy working environment. We dropped single items and then ventured into stacks. We made a few presumptions, that in a busy kitchen the pots would of course be tidied away, but maybe the big bits picked up and the smaller pieces swept either to the side or maybe even into the fire for later removal with the ashes, the possibility of dust pans was also allowed for. We reconstructed a pot that had been broken, we tried as diligently as we could to find all the bits, but inevitably bits were lost forever.

I hope that Gandi took some photos, I know he did.

Sounds like a fun afternoon mate lol ............personaly i think I'll stick to the beer sunami's

BTW I thought your lot used brass/copper cauldrons ???? Seem to remember helping clean them for Vicky oonce ?

User avatar
gregory23b
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Gyppeswyk, Suffolk

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by gregory23b »

We use both ceramic and bronze at Hampton Court, the bronze is our main cooking vessel type, but the ceramic gets trotted out now and again for cooking and mostly for eating from.

Smashing pots was good fun, as was the bemused look on people's faces.

Vicky's, ie Gascoigne's kit is made by the same people, but used in camp and events only.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Friesian
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by Friesian »

gregory23b wrote:We use both ceramic and bronze at Hampton Court, the bronze is our main cooking vessel type, but the ceramic gets trotted out now and again for cooking and mostly for eating from.

Smashing pots was good fun, as was the bemused look on people's faces.

Vicky's, ie Gascoigne's kit is made by the same people, but used in camp and events only.

Where do you get the bronze ones ? Is there a trader or do you get them specialy made ?

User avatar
gregory23b
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 2923
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Gyppeswyk, Suffolk

Re: Cauldron to cook in

Post by gregory23b »

Historic castings. Well worth the money.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Post Reply