latin problems !!!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Apothecary

latin problems !!!!!

Postby Apothecary » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:13 pm

can someone tell me the correct way to write Bright Ideas, my english to latin says independently that bright can be Illustris and idea is cogitate - I never took lating at school - so in propper grammer would it be
Illustirs Cogitate
or
Cogitate Illustris ????
or
is it something else ????????

thanks for the help peeps!

regards

Jayne

yes, I have leeches for it - but don't worry, it will drop off by morning !!!

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: latin problems !!!!!

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:13 am

Latin adjectives usually follow the noun they describe; they also agree in gender, number and case with the noun. If the word "ideas" is feminine and nominative plural, then the adjective "bright" must also be in its feminine, nominative plural form.

Latin has many words meaning "idea": species, forma, imago, notitia, opinio, sententia and several more. Cogitatio means "thinking, meditation, thought, intention, plan or opinion" - so much the same thing as idea.

You wanted the plural, which for cogitatio would be cogitationes.
Bright (in the sense of clever, smart) is argutus or sollers - sollers is perhaps most appropriate in this case. Illustris means something that is literally shining or glowing, rather than figuratively.

So: Cogitationes sollertes - Bright ideas.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

saracen

Postby saracen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 am

I like sollers, it hadn't occurred to me. I came up with cognitiones callidae as I'm a sucker for alliteration...

Apothecary

Postby Apothecary » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 pm

thanks for the help - was not sure how to phrase what I wanted to say - as bright ideas was for people buying stuff as in - thats a bright idea for a gift but really need something that sums it up and keeping it simple I thought of a play on works something like fabulous or enlightening or bargains or something of one word........any help is of importance.......

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:16 am

Latin is a very precise language with very strict rules of grammar and meaning and few parallels with modern sloppy English (if you saw the episode of Time Team where they argued about how to translate the dodgy title of the show into Latin you will have some idea what I mean).

The word "bargain" for example has today come to mean a transaction where the buyer thinks they are getting something for less than they expected to pay - but the Latin term (pactio or pactum) simply indicates an agreement, a compact, something agreed by bargaining, but generally without the modern marketing meaning. The plural "bargains" would be pactiones or pacta.

The term "wonderful/amazing/marvellous/extraordinary things" would be res mirabiles, which has a certain ring to it. :wink:

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Return to “1100-1500”