Fluting

Moderator: Moderators

wyldstallions

Fluting

Postby wyldstallions » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Does anybody know when armour started to have flutes, is it purely a 15th century thing or did they have any earlier. I'm making some armour for next season quite fancy putting some fluting in it but I wanted to make sure it was historically accurate first.

Stuart Quayle

Re: Fluting

Postby Stuart Quayle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I have a Cervelliere (fluted bascinet) which is a copy of Sir John d'Aubernon's helmet - circa 1340AD, so fluted definitely in evidence at that period of time on English manufactured armour.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Fluting on helmets was known in the 12th century (obviously plate armour didn't exist at that stage), perhaps with Byzantine or middle eastern influences.

A knight in a well-defined fluted nasal helmet appears on a sculpted stone capitol (circa 1150) at Notre-Dame-du-Port, Clermont-Ferrand in France; the lost grave effigy of William Clito (died 1127, known from a 16th century sketch) shows him wearing a helmet with fluting; the future king Richard's first seal (in use 1169 to 1189) shows a fluted nasal helm (later seals show plain helmets); Siculo-Norman and Italian knights are occasionally depicted wearing fluted helmets in the mid-12th century, sometimes with an integral neck-guard. An example is the marble candlestick of around 1170 at San Paolo fuori la Mura, Rome, showing a group of Italian knights in both plain and fluted nasal helms.

My guess would be that this was a Mediterranean fashion (Richard's sister Johanna married William II, king of Sicily, which may explain the helmet associated with his seal) which never really took off in England until much later.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

wyldstallions

Postby wyldstallions » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Great thanks for information Stuart and Ranulf. I'll have to write all that down

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Just found this thread! bit late i know but...Stuart refers to the Cervelliere as a fluted helmet, it was my impression that this was a simple skuul cap type of helmet and certainly not fluted. Also, if one studies the effigy of Gronw Tudur (Fychan) (d:1383?) in St Gredifael Church, Penmynydd, he is clearly wearing a fluted bascinet which still shows remarkable detail.
Dave.

House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

Stuart Quayle

Postby Stuart Quayle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Wow! this is an old thread. I think I meant fluted bascinet, which I did put in brackets. From what I have heard since, Cervelliere could mean simply the lining inside a bascinet, so sorry for the confusion on that point. :$

Stuart

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm

You are right Stuart. It's a lining, not the helmet itself :P :rock:

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”