Plate Gauntlets

Moderator: Moderators

Tallphil84

Plate Gauntlets

Post by Tallphil84 »

Having started doing 15th century properly now I need a pair of plate gauntlets. I'm planning to get milanese style gauntlets as I think they give better protection.

I need recomendations for a basic pair. I know GDFB do a fairly cheap set but have no idea on fit or quality or who else might be recomended for cheaper (under £200) sets.

thanks
Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverence, Self controll and Indomitable Spirit

Trading-Dragon

Re: Plate Gauntlets

Post by Trading-Dragon »

Once again, I can thoroughly recommend Uncle Roger's Mittens (see Lancaster's Armourie's Webpage).

Not the cheapest on the market but I dare say the very safest and sturdiest. He makes them to measure and they will last you a lifetime. It's worth saving up for them.
Books are like imprisoned souls until someone takes them down from a shelf and frees them...

wulfenganck

Post by wulfenganck »

I'd highly recommend St. George Armoury, Mark Vickers has some Milanese type for 200,- and mittens in german style for 140,-. I own a pair of the latter ones and they are absolutely brilliant for that price range: historically correct AND safe for mostly every form of reenactment-fight allowed on the fields around Europe (maybe not some of the far eastern european and russian guys, but then again, these are loonies anyway....).
In fact, I have bought quite some stuff from the St. George Armoury and I am realy astonished at his prices. Must be hiding some dwarf-slaves in the cellar to maintain that kind of quality work for that price.

Adam R

Post by Adam R »

I'd always recommend looking at original sources (museums and pictures) to get an idea of what looks right and what looks wrong. Never assume that because people buy something they look right! I have seen some gauntlets that were surely made for giants!! Once you have a feel for look you can browse with a little more background knowledge. People's opinions on how well they work and how much protection they offer will be invaluable though! Like Wulfenganck I'm a St George Armoury fan - looks right - works well and the price is good. Have fun and keep those pinkies safe :cry:
KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"