best relaible helms for the price

Moderator: Moderators

darrelltemplar

best relaible helms for the price

Postby darrelltemplar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:33 pm

i wanted to advertise a company my group has been working with for a while get dressed for battle for their amazing helmets mines been hit straight down with a mace and theres barely a dent so if your looking for a great/barrell helmet look no further than get dressed for battle as a £100 helm that can save you from a really big t**t is worth the money

bad name choice as no longer a templar ah well
for the morlais instead!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Re: best relaible helms for the price

Postby gregory23b » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 pm

GDFB are not new to us, they advertise here, or at least used to.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:00 pm

GDFB you say??

They sound like great helmets.... :silent:

Official Thumb biter.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Can I ask which Get Dressed for Battle/GDFB you're refering to?

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:43 pm

funnily enough, precisely what I thought.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

glyndwr 50

Postby glyndwr 50 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 pm

G D F B make many good quality items ,true they arn't cheep but saying that all there items a very well made .I have there 1340s kettle helmet ,it great for archers .It has a really narrow brim ( which does not interfer with the bow string on full draw.)and has a very strong ridge over the centre of the helmet .This type of helmet is very strong and can really stand up to sword & axe blows,there are no joints and are made with a really good leather head lining and chin strap which are rivited to the helmet .A must for the medieval archer .

Death is just Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

teutonic knight

Postby teutonic knight » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:31 am

i must agree, my group use the get dressed for battle transitional helms and they are realy well made, i would recomend them to anyone, and in the current climate they make re-enacting/living history afordable without compromising on quality. :D

Brethren of the German Hospital of St. Mary.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:15 am

glyndwr 50 wrote:they arn't cheep

Yes, they are.

Both the old and new flavours of Get Dressed for Battle/GDFB are some of the cheapest helmets you can buy.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 am

Though not always the most attractive or authentic.
if that is something that bothers you, which it may not.
Though it would depend upon which GDFB you mean, the UK one or the Global one (both have some dodgy items on offer.)

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:22 am

Fox wrote:
glyndwr 50 wrote:they arn't cheep

Yes, they are.

Both the old and new flavours of Get Dressed for Battle/GDFB are some of the cheapest helmets you can buy.

I agree, for the UK they are damned cheap, but you can get made to measure stuff cheaper - if you're willing to shop around and wait for delivery.

I bought an old GDFB kettle a while back and hated it, the style wasn't quite right and it was far too heavy so I sold it on, but for beginners who want stuff at reasonable prices and quickly then they're a good starting point.

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

teutonic knight

Postby teutonic knight » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:00 pm

they do have some very dogey iteams for sale but its the old story, if you do your research some of there kit is good and some is bad, we portray a german holy order in the year 1222 so some of there stuff is correct for the european styles were as it would be totaly wrong for the english portrayl. its just knowing what you should be wearing by the country and time you are portaying.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:03 pm

"if you do your research some of there kit is good and some is bad,"

Key word 'if' and that places the expectation of quality on the buyer who may be buying in good faith as to the veracity of the piece, you need to know you are getting the right and safest piece of kit, not a pick and mix. I put my head and other parts in the trust of armourers I know, my head is worth more than a hundred quid's worth of possibly good, possibly bad armour.

teutonic knight

Postby teutonic knight » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 pm

i know the armourers they use are good at what they do, the only reason they are so cheap is the armourers are german rather than british. i was recomended to use them by somone that has bee re-enacting since the 80s and knows what is good and what isnt. i never buy anything unless i have seen it were its made and that the best materials are used, for example all our swords are armour class and white rose armourie and i make all the other kit myself following origanal pictures and were possible patterns. i am well aware of peoples concerns ut i will always defend good workmanship, also the helms we wear have never needed a rivet replaceing any repair and have never even dented, they are also hand forged and temperd. sorry if it sounds like im moaning but i just always do my resarch before buying any iteam.

Gavin :)

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 pm

teutonic knight wrote:i know the armourers they use are good at what they do, the only reason they are so cheap is the armourers are german rather than british.

Do they actually make the kit in Germany? I thought it was just the Warehouse location while all the kit was made in India or China or suchlike?

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm

zauberdachs wrote:
teutonic knight wrote:i know the armourers they use are good at what they do, the only reason they are so cheap is the armourers are german rather than british.

Do they actually make the kit in Germany? I thought it was just the Warehouse location while all the kit was made in India or China or suchlike?

Steve used to source a lot of it in India afaik, not sure about the new GDFB though.

www.angevin.org

teutonic knight

Postby teutonic knight » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 pm

the helms are made in germany, i know this as i have visited the forge. and they also still make kit for the brethren of the german hospital of st mary, i know this as i am in contact with them also as that is the order we portray.

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:45 pm

teutonic knight wrote:i was recomended to use them by somone that has bee re-enacting since the 80s and knows what is good and what isnt.

That's not necessarily a good basis for advice, unless they've done the appropriate research sorry - I know newbies to this crazy hobby whose knowledge far outweighs that of people who've been doing this for years, myself included. :wink:

i never buy anything unless i have seen it were its made and that the best materials are used, for example all our swords are armour class and white rose armourie and i make all the other kit myself following origanal pictures and were possible patterns

A very sensible and admirable approach, I wish I'd followed the same path when I first started - it would have saved a lot of embarrassment and money along the way :roll:

www.angevin.org

teutonic knight

Postby teutonic knight » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:13 pm

i have been re-enacting for 12 years now, i used to do world war 2 so research had to be extensive as there are still people alive who remember it, this group i have started i put the same level of resarch into, i spent 4 years reaserching the kit the history of the order and all my supliers. i never do anything half cocked.

darrelltemplar

Postby darrelltemplar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:46 pm

i just find them to be quality for the price really at gdfb i have one of their original great helms my leader sold on to me 12 gauge top and 14 sides and now i couldnt imagine doing a full contact tournament without it

bad name choice as no longer a templar ah well
for the morlais instead!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 pm

12G! By the Lord you must have some neck muscles upon you!

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm

teutonic knight wrote:... somone that has bee re-enacting since the 80s and knows what is good and what isnt

With the best will in the world re-enacting for a long time doesn't necessarily grant any particular knowledge on the subject. I know a few who re-enact from when I started back then and don't really have any interest in the authenticity of things, rather judging kit on it's price and useablility. Others who have really got into it and know their bananas. I suggest anyone making out these items are good is more likely to be the former category - or at least have their priorities focused on authenticity lower down the scale than price (cheap) or ease of purchase. Not saying it's bad - but it is the lower end of the spectrum on offer.

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

teutonic knight

Postby teutonic knight » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 pm

you have to remember im portrating somone fron the early 13th century so im not talking about there later period iteams just there crussader transitional helms. few other people actualy make them and if they do they are no battle ready. the person who recomended them to me was actualy phil fraser who hand made my scabard and sword belt.

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 pm

... which is fair enough. I have recommended them myself. For what they are they offer reasonable vfm - I'm only familiar with some of their large range of gear.

As a complete aside and digression - 'Battle Ready' is an interesting claim. We don't have a CE standard for re-enactment armour - I wonder what tests are done by any manufacturer to quality assure the actual strength of their kit? That's a question to be taken entirely at face value, I'm not implying anything - just interested to know what tests armourers do and how often.

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:10 am

Battle ready? That term was used for a lot of the tat that used to be on ebay. Battle ready maybe, what battle I have no idea and in most cases not one I would want to be in.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:10 pm

I remember that GDFB used to sell 'Battle Ready' swords until some-one pointed out how dangerous they were. His response was to mark them all as "not suitable for use in combat" (and take off the battle ready, :roll: ) imediately (and more you couldn't ask). I don't think that it means anything, but a guess under most circumstances!

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

tarty-fairy

Postby tarty-fairy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:37 pm

hi Marcus
On the gdfb global is that my brightly coloured hairs dyes lol
Heather

ps does anyone have large supplies of pro plus as Badger is pulling an all night re priceing
( lower ) the web site or any spare teddy bears for me lol

Coffee and tea wench for badger
www.Ravencrest.co.uk
GDFB original stockist

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:21 pm

"Battle ready" always confused me as a term since it is my understanding that it is illegal to advertise objects as being suitable for fighting or combat.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Badger

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:17 pm

All those glorious battle ready swords and armour that Ancient Warrior do hmm hmm
Where's the pro plus twitching

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:51 pm

There is a perfectly good buy and sell section for people to plug their favourite suppliers, there is no reason to have thinly veiled plugs on every section.

But for what it is worth I would not waste my money on GDFB or anyone but:

Mark Vickers
Emrys
Hedgecock
Stirling Brown
plus a few others.

Because I want armour to do the job in both ways - to whit looking right and protecting my bonce or parts. I do not see the point in chucking money at something that only does one or the other.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Specifically Jorge, why do you think that a GDFB helmet would not protect your head?
What about the accuracy do you think is suspect?
Which GDFB are you refering to?

Return to “1100-1500”