Wars Of The Roses Living History

Moderator: Moderators

Captayne Mandylyon

Wars Of The Roses Living History

Postby Captayne Mandylyon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello all,

I'm interested in joining, helping start, or reviving a highly authentic late medieval living history group, and am looking for like minded fellows who may be able to help.

Anyone who may remember the halcyon early days of The White Company & similar groups of the time will be thinking along the right lines. Ideally Midlands based, but not essential. More interested in buttons than bills.

Anybody with similar interests please get in touch!

Rgds,
Mandillion.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Harrumph, I smell who you are E or the other one P

;-)

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Captayne Mandylyon

Postby Captayne Mandylyon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 pm

Huzzah! You would be half correct in your supposition. But I mean to play, and I mean to play well! Any ideas?

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:08 pm

PM me with some more detail about the sort of group you are looking for. We may be able to help.

Also, you could do a lot worse than come to the Wars of the Roses Federation event at Bosworth (22/23 August) You will be able to meet and chat with quite a few potential groups there...

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

behanner

Postby behanner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:13 am

Captayne Mandylyon wrote:Huzzah! You would be half correct in your supposition. But I mean to play, and I mean to play well!

Well since you want to play very well you should know that "Huzzah" is an inauthentic term for 15th century England unless you are a sailor hoisting a sail. :lol:

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:33 pm

He could also post in early modern English, rather than use his inauthentic modern English....?

Ie he speaks like that in real life. :D

behanner

Postby behanner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Mostly just intending it as giving him a hard time. While one would have to check the OED if I recall correctly the word comes into use in the mid-17th century so yes, early modern English.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I know and I was being pedantic as he is communicating in today's English, so his apparent (mis)use of Huzzah may have been supposition, but you would have supposed right!!. If he is who I think he is, he is still in the late 1980s/early 90s of WOTR reenactment, when we all said it ;-)

Mandy, are you E or P?

Captayne Mandylyon

Postby Captayne Mandylyon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:54 pm

I am indeed Master P. I admire your skill in deduction, I presume this is J?? :-)

Now if I'd been considering the authenticity of my comments, I would most likely have had them written and delivered by hand, rather than using the internet. My use of the term 'Huzzah' as an adjective was simply to signify my exultation and joy at your cleverness in discovering me so quickly, not an assumption that medieval people like to shout (probable) mid C17th sailors cries.

I read that the term is referenced as early as the 1570's, so I'd have probably have been alright using it sparingly in the 1485-1603 forum, but I'd certainly able to use it to excess in the 1603-1715 forum. Maybe I could shout 'Euge!' in this forum instead? It was the closest I could get to hooray in Latin?

Ironically the closest equivalent I could find in suitable English is 'Bostin', derived from middle English 'Bosten' (boasting). Contextually this is still used as an exclamation meaning fantastic or brilliant in the English Midlands and is perfectly authentic for England in the late middle ages. ;-)

So back to my original question - I'd really like to do good quality late medieval living history again if I can. Does anyone do any? You know the sort, gentle stuff with plenty of weaving. :-)

Rgds, P.

Churchmouse

War of the Roses Living History

Postby Churchmouse » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:26 pm

It sounds just like the sort of thing I've been looking for. Why not pm me to discuss.

Malenfant

Postby Malenfant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Warro Pozzer

Count me in old chap

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Ah Master P, grats on your parenthood, nice little child you have. (we are Fb friends as it happens)

Master E I work with and would have been surprised if it was him, but the mandylyon was a giveaway and evoked such memories of:

the leg bone of jesus christ as a young boy
reenacting the Spanish Civil War on the way to Tretower

And many more madcap living surrealistic thingies.

behanner

Postby behanner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Captayne Mandylyon wrote:Ironically the closest equivalent I could find in suitable English is 'Bostin', derived from middle English 'Bosten' (boasting). Contextually this is still used as an exclamation meaning fantastic or brilliant in the English Midlands and is perfectly authentic for England in the late middle ages. ;-)

Can you find it being used as an exclamation. I can find lots of exclamations but I have yet to find one that has the same sort of vauge joy cheer that huzzah comes to mean.

Lady Roos

Postby Lady Roos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

We can be quite a friendly bunch :D
http://www.johnnesfieldsretinue.com/index.htm

Geen woorden maar daden

Captayne Mandylyon

Postby Captayne Mandylyon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks Lady Roos,

Somebody already suggested your group, and I must say I like the photos on your website. Much the type of thing I used to do.

May well be in touch soon!

Rgds,
Patrick.

Malenfant

Postby Malenfant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Right how does this work...??

Malenfant

Postby Malenfant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Right like that!

Mr Nesquick's Retinue look rather good, they are based in the East Midlands though (a place I regard with some suspicion). I say we investigate.

Let us also try and gather an army here in the West Midlands (well me and three and whoever else we can rope in). We must have a meeting in a pub!

Didnt we do all this a couple of decades ago?

E

Captayne Mandylyon

Postby Captayne Mandylyon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Hello Lord Squatthrust,

We can get Barry. Biff might play. Barry Jakeman. Ziggy. Karl from Dudley. Gerry Embleton. Clive Bartlett. Paul Thompson. Julian?

I say we don the itchys and melt pewter. Lets meet in a pub this week......

Lord Teatowel

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 am

I can heartily recommend Lord and Lady Roos, top chaps, even Mrs R. Great to have at a camp site and Lord R has a reputation for certain tsunami-like activities.

They are also mad, but not in your way ;-)

Ah Mr Elefant, I shall see you Aug Bank Hol?

Captayne Mandylyon

Postby Captayne Mandylyon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Your recommendation is solid gold to me, so I'll get the semblence of some clothes put together, and investigate in time for next season. My six year old son, James is well up for being medieval and doing some cooking!

Do they realise what they may be taking on? ;-)

Actually, we're too old and fat to be much of a nuisance anymore! Could still manage 'Famous Paintings' and 'Furniture Through The Ages' though. My vocal hurdy gurdy and crumhorns are still in great working order as well, so they'll appreciate that. :-D

Rgds, P.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:58 pm

"Your recommendation is solid gold to me"

Oh my god!

Maybe tarnished silver perhaps.

"Do they realise what they may be taking on? "

Probably not.

Related to this, I went to Archeon with my group, which were attached to Lord and Lady Roos' group as they organised it. Well, one day Sylvia Fradley was chatting with me and my group Leaderene and Fradders said to me, bear in mind I hadn't seen the wench for years, 'Glad to see you have quietened down with age" The look on my leaderene's face was pure gold and pure shock as she wondered what I must have been like then. I just had an innocent expression on my face. ;-) Similarly you must have mellowed with age and responsibility.

http://www.johnnesfieldsretinue.com/lh/ ... rcheon.JPG

single cock fighting, we had to rig this shot up as we only had one aged saggy old cock between us. I can't remember who, but at that time someone dropped a great fart, some guy in a floppy red hat apparently 8)

But Lord and Lady R are geezers par excellence and great company, I regret that I have not had their pleasure for over a year or so.

"Could still manage 'Famous Paintings' and 'Furniture Through The Ages' "

Legendary stuff to some of us ;-)

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 pm

gregory23b wrote:Related to this, I went to Archeon with my group, which were attached to Lord and Lady Roos' group as they organised it. Well, one day Sylvia Fradley was chatting with me and my group Leaderene and Fradders said to me, bear in mind I hadn't seen the wench for years, 'Glad to see you have quietened down with age" The look on my leaderene's face was pure gold and pure shock as she wondered what I must have been like then. I just had an innocent expression on my face. ;-) Similarly you must have mellowed with age and responsibility.

:P

I took most of those Archeon photos - glad someone still has a copy, because I don't after PC fizzled. I should put some of those on our planned new spangly website...

Lady Roos

Postby Lady Roos » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Howdie Fartypants, we are missing your bottom trumps dreadfully, please come along again - hell, bring Princess - she was great at Colchester.
Is your position as 'Chief Cock-Washer To The Burgundian Court' still going strong, or has the recession been hitting your industry too.

Anyhow - ALL OF GEORGE'S FRIENDS ARE WELCOME.... :lol:

We excell in cooking, music, beer tsunamis, sewing, mail making, schnapps tsunamis, roaming around dodgy woodpiles :shock: are very fair in selecting our victims for the compulsary (lets rip the s**t out of you saturday evening hour :twisted: ) Our glorious Captain Ben is terrific.

Drop me a line on mirandavandenouden at btconnect dot com if you want to know more about us, our tsunamis, fartypants :twisted: or anything just because.......

George, come to Old Sarum (August Bnk) lets be nostalgic. :D

Geen woorden maar daden

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Beer Tsunamis indeed. Some of my best re-enactment anecdotes are due to the Nesfields! Fab bunch.

:D

Lady Roos

Postby Lady Roos » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Vicky wrote:Beer Tsunamis indeed. Some of my best re-enactment anecdotes are due to the Nesfields! Fab bunch.

:D

Hi Vicky Lord Roos here (still cant remember my password ) ,are you doing Old Sarum ?............Or are we all taking a Steam Tromper to Mars via Blore Heath again :lol:

Oh BTW Carol has most of the Archeon photo's on CD I think ,also we have some of them together with some from Bromham Mill if you need them for your site

Geen woorden maar daden

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:49 am

Cheers Lord Roos! Carol has messaged me about it already.

I won't be at Old Sarum, but hopefully Blore - let's get that Steam Tromper back on track! :D

Really looking forward to seeing everyone again - been too long!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 am

"ALL OF GEORGE'S FRIENDS ARE WELCOME.... "

I shall ring him then

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am

gregory23b wrote:"ALL OF GEORGE'S FRIENDS ARE WELCOME.... "

I shall ring him then

You don't need to ring him, dear. He lives inside your head now, doesn't he? We've been through this before.

Bless.

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 am

I might still have some Archeon photos if yours have gone missing Vicky. PM me. Mandylyon. Have a look at http://www.wythe-retinue.org.uk/ Loosely West Midlands based. You may well recognise some faces as will Gregory23b and Lady Roos. Members in Dilwyn, Bromyard, Derby, just off J10 of M40, Slough, Kidderminster(ish) and one in Devon at present with him Mum while looking for a job. Does that count as West Midlands?
John Nesfield's Retinue are a great bunch too. We have been known to play wiht them although have not had a chance to do that in some time - when Lady L and I got married we took to playing with all the groups we were each members of. Ended up doing 33 events one year so have cut back a but. We moved into our new house 4 years ago and the kitchen is still not finished. No reason why you cannot play with more than one bunch...

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Nice pics langley. Colin scrubs up well doesn't he?

nice to see Debs in the pics too.

Return to “1100-1500”