Devil is in the detail

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Thomas Hylton

Devil is in the detail

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Thu May 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Or more to the point initially.... Socks what on earth did 15th century man do about socks back then, There is much talk about Hose braise etc, boots & shoes certainly... but as for socks, what dod they do, or was it barefoot inside 15th century & surounding centurys footwear...?

Cant see them in Hollywood style pretty-polly tights myself :shock: :lol:

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri May 29, 2009 8:02 am

Not all hose was footed, though they do often seem to be. In Italy at least they were also soled to enable comfortable walking in as well.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri May 29, 2009 12:47 pm

sally wrote:yep, cloth hose, like kneesocks, but cloth cut and sewn

Like kneesocks? Are we talking High Medieval, womens or just the general shape of the foot?

Footed hosen were common (though stirups are also seen). There are occasional mentions of socks, but we don't really know what they were like or how widley they were worn. It's likely that some people had shoes on bare feet.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Not all hose was footed, though they do often seem to be. In Italy at least they were also soled to enable comfortable walking in as well.

Nice one Marcus. 8) Clever chaps these Italians :D :lol: 8)

Some interesting replies here :) Thanks Colin too

So essentially no hard & fast rule, but solutions there were. Devil in the detail most certainly then.

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 pm

Personally speaking, if I was riding for example, I wore socks whether they be modern or not, didnt give a stuff as I needed to feel the boot was secure and wasnt going to bother my feet. However, in my nice comfy medieval ankle boots I always went no socks. Lovely in the summer!!
But yes, some good info there, and of course as you rightly say, no hard and fast rule, basically, its whatever floats your boat! Whos to say, anyway, we'll never know absolutely for sure!

Heres to cool comfy feet!!

Neil :twisted:

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Forgot to say that during the 15th C, there was a fashion for not wearing shoes amongst the well off. AFAIK, this is through to have spread at least as far as London. As Marcus said the hosen were often fitted with at leather sole. When the wearer went out, they would put leather soles pattens on (to lift them out of the muck), so that their nicely fitted hosen could be seen.

Plenty of options.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:47 pm

But of course Colin, that's still not barefoot. But still very interesting none the less.

Return to “1100-1500”