Silk serving on Mary Rose arrows

Moderator: Moderators

Flesh&Blood

Postby Flesh&Blood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:44 pm

Hobbitstomper wrote:According to Mr Rhiengan’s calculator, for a half inch diameter arrow 2/3 to 3/4 of the drag is down to the fletchings (for 3* 4 to 6 square inch fletchings respectively). If you double the drag of the fletched length of the shaft by making it really rough (roughness is important in turbulent flow) you increase the overall drag by up to 5%. Are you seriously saying that this isn’t important and someone smart enough to make a tapered arrow with a cleverly designed head wouldn’t be interested this gain in long range performance?

At least one minor battle was won by one group of archers outranging the other due to the prevailing conditions.

more than a slight distortion by yourself there, having the arrow shaft smooth has in no way been mentioned before, to introduce it at this stage is quite laughable, anyway would you shoot a rough arrow 'off hand'?

Previaling wind has an effect, granted, but that would be the wind, nothing more, nothing less.

I take it that you are under the misaprehension that a tapered shaft was for flight performance alone from your statement?

What you are angling towards is a flight arrow, not a standard off the shelf, stuffed into a sheaf, run of the mill, there's the French, shoot at them boys, arrow.

I asked you, if having a silken binding was such an advantage, giving massive (as you seem to be angling towards) range increases, lets say for sake of argument 30 yards, do you not think it would have been placed as a vitally important componant of arrow manufacture for acceptance by the Kings Ordnance? If you can conclusivly show me that, from a manuscript that is reliable and accepted of the time I will accept your argument, otherwise what you are printing is conjecture and personal opinion, and should clearly state so.

Flesh&Blood

Postby Flesh&Blood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:46 pm

as an afterthought you'll be trying to tell me that triangular fletchings were all that were ever fletched to medieval arrows next, and that the triangular fletch was efficient for flight, not just to balance the arrow in flight when it has a massive heavy head on the end of it.

gino

Postby gino » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm

lucy the tudor wrote: Examination also suggested that wax was put on in a series of layers. There appeared to be no extraneous matter trapped within the wax.

Was that was applied to:

the shaft (but not the fletches)
The fletches (but not the shaft)
or the entire arrow?

thanks,

G.

Return to “1100-1500”