Armour WOTR

Moderator: Moderators

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Armour WOTR

Postby zauberdachs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Ok, a quick question for the knowledgeable out there.

I'm reading through "The Medieval Soldier in the WOTR" by Andrew Boardman (ISBN 0750914653). On page 140 he discusses the goods of John de Vere, Earl of Oxford upon his death, these include:

"175 Sallets, 101 Brigandines, 77 pairs of splints, 16 corsets, 84 pairs of maille gussets, 18 gorgets, 24 aprons of mail, 120 halberd, 140 bills and 120 bows."

What is a corset in the context?

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:12 pm

A maille shirt?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm

guthrie wrote:A maille shirt?

Wrong.

No seriously I've no idea but please don't guess. I can guess too all by myself.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:42 pm

probabaly a back and breast palte as a set a corslett

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 pm

Would have to second the corselet answer- "back and breast" plate would fit in with the mail gussets, bevors, hats and arm harness in the same context and show difference from the brigs present too to give a consistent "half armour".

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 am

Makes sense, thanks.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

and with the weighted argument of Messers walton an Grips who is going toa rgue ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 pm

For that matter, what is an "apron of mail"?

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Likely a mail skirt

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

behanner

Postby behanner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm not sure that is correct because in the Parliament rolls you find "in maner of werre, that is to witte, with curays, corsettes, speres, jakkes, salettes..."

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Corslet
Also spelled corselet. A light half-armour popular in the sixteenth century for general military use (for example, town guards). It consisted of a gorget, breast, back and tassets, full arms and gauntlets; the term can also be applied to the cuirass only.

Got this from Arador Armour Website

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:59 pm

I have an impression of it being quite a general term for metal armour for the torso. They might have listed curays AND corsettes to stop people from trying to claim that it's not the one forbidden.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “1100-1500”