Excellent Reference Material

Moderator: Moderators

Mythos

Excellent Reference Material

Postby Mythos » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:15 pm

For those seeking source material for the mediaeval period (or a Christmas idea for a re-enactor), might I recommend 3 tomes by Monsieur Eugene Viollet-Le-Duc: "Armes Medievales", "Le Mobilier Medieval" and "Le Costume Medieval".

Somewhat expensive, and available in French only it appears, but magnificently and copiously illustrated throughout, these books are well worth considering...even for those who do not speak a word of French.

Indeed, they would make attractive coffee table books even for those with just a passing interest in the mediaeval period.

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:29 pm

I hope they're more accurate than some of his rebuilding of French sites in a Medieval stylee. I've seen some of them firsthand and they're impressive but not necessarily correct.

Lovely illustrations but taken with a large pinch of salt. :shock:

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Xioumi

Postby Xioumi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 pm

I've seen those books too and although they are lovely, they are written with a victorian view of the middle ages and a lot of his drawings of garments of the period are nothing like the originals he has 'interpreted' from. For example there is a garment he credits to a Lancelot du Lac manuscript in the BnF and after I finally tracked down the picture it looked nothing like it. It's one of the reasons I put almost no faith in the costume books by Norris, Houston and Wagner. They use copies of his drawings and credit him as a source.
I aggree with Simon - Big Fat Pinch of Salt. I would use it as a guide and try to find the originals of the illustrations as well.

Return to “1100-1500”