Page 1 of 1

What kind of horse?

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:47 pm
by Colin Middleton
I've been reading the Howard Accounts and a section in there has sparked a bit of a debate between Chris and I, but neither of us knows enough about the horse in medieval England to make much sense out of some of the things we're seeing.

Sir John Howard is taking some of his people with him to the North of England and he has loaned some of them horses. This has turned up a few words that we don't understand:
Throston Par on bayard Kauser.
We're guessing that a bayard is a type of horse and that Kauser is it's name. But we've no idea what a bayard is! Can anyone offer any guidance? :?
and I rode my selfe on lyard Hewes.
Similarly lyard? Is it a type of horse? I have a nasty feeling that I saw it a few pages earlier applied to a person :shock: . Is it a spelling of Lord? If so, why is his horse called Lord Hewes? :?

Help please.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 pm
by Gandi

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:04 pm
by MadWoman
Would Kauser be an alternative spelling of courser?

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
by Fair Lady Aside
Bayard = Bay

And the other is an alternate spelling for Courser. I'm sure you've noticed that no spelling is standardized.

I've gone through that entire document specifically for equestrian items.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:21 pm
by Colin Middleton
Between the above answers and those on ... 216#225216, I think I understand now.

Thanks for the help.