15th C English Import Export - Help

Moderator: Moderators

Big Gay Al

15th C English Import Export - Help

Postby Big Gay Al » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi all .

I'm developing a new 'schtick' for next season, and need some pointers. I've got an idea to build something out of the Hansa League and its conflicts with Eddie IV.....but could do with some pointers.
Bracket we're in is 1465 - 1470...

Websites, texts, contacts...all help gratefully accepted!

Cheer the Beer. All Hail the Ale! Entwine with the wine....and..err.....Don't curse the Bratwurst??

jelayemprins

Enjoy!

Postby jelayemprins » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:53 pm

'making history happen'
-

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Being a sensible monarch, Edward IV prefered dealing with Italians. He could count on us being good Christians, not like those half-heathen or all heretic Germans. (Just in case any of the Gomer Legion read this post).

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Big Gay Al

Postby Big Gay Al » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:50 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Being a sensible monarch, Edward IV prefered dealing with Italians. He could count on us being good Christians, not like those half-heathen or all heretic Germans. (Just in case any of the Gomer Legion read this post).

Yeah..preferred!...but actually got stitched up well and truly a couple of times by the Hansa!

Thanks for the link, Mr P.

Cheer the Beer. All Hail the Ale! Entwine with the wine....and..err.....Don't curse the Bratwurst??

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 am

The Hansa were not allowed to trade in Calais or operate outside of the Steelyard in London, whereas Lombards could and did. The fact that Warwick used to raid their convoys to help pay for the Calais garrison while Edward was there (as an Earl not as King) must have left some lingering distrust.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Big Gay Al

Postby Big Gay Al » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:The Hansa were not allowed to trade in Calais or operate outside of the Steelyard in London, whereas Lombards could and did. The fact that Warwick used to raid their convoys to help pay for the Calais garrison while Edward was there (as an Earl not as King) must have left some lingering distrust.

It all depends on when you're talking about. Edward used Hansa ships for his invasion remember - and they had Merchant halls in Boston, Kings Lynn and London....so its not as cut and dried as all that, I'm afraid.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:53 pm

I thought it was that Flemish fella from Bruges who arranged for the Hansa to carry Edward in 1471? The one that they stayed with until Charles the bold became interested in what Warwick and Louis would be getting up to. His name is on the tip of my tongue.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Big Gay Al

Postby Big Gay Al » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I thought it was that Flemish fella from Bruges who arranged for the Hansa to carry Edward in 1471? The one that they stayed with until Charles the bold became interested in what Warwick and Louis would be getting up to. His name is on the tip of my tongue.

I don't know who that was - but I'd be interested to find out. My area of interest is 1470-1475, so it would be a great help.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:46 pm

I'll look it out, will be back intouch ASAP.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Are we talking about DeKlauwerets here?

Return to “1100-1500”