Wearing plate on top of maille or not?

Moderator: Moderators

Templar Knight

Wearing plate on top of maille or not?

Postby Templar Knight » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Was going to purchase some half greaves to go with my early 14th C1330 armour but didnt know weather you put them ontop of the maille or do you not wear maille at the areas plate covers? Also i have a pair of these knee cops hanging around but don't know what period they are from tbh so could someone give me a date please :D
Cheers
Attachments
AH6025.jpg
Last edited by Templar Knight on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Greaves should be worn over full maille chausses during pretty much the entire first half of the 14th century to my knowledge (ref. Ulrich Lehnart "Spaetgotik I" or brass of Sir John d'Abernoun).

The "cobs" your pictures are showing in the full-metal form pretty much exactly as yours are in evidence as protection of the knee worn over maille chausses from about 1320 (effigy of Gottfried von Juelich-Bergheim) to about 1335. Similar bits of armour are worn over maille chausses in combination with greaves as late as 1370 (in Germany, probably not even remotely as late in England). In England it probably develops into early three-plate articulation worn with greaves over chausses (again d'Abernoun brass, 1345) and ultimately leading to full plate chausses which render maille chausses obsolete from about 1350 onwards.

the Juelich-Bergheim effigy also shows elbow protectors worn over the arms of a maille shirt, but these are much smaller and of different shape. The form depicted above is very distinctive for knee-protectors.

Hope this helps...

Quanti Adversarii + Tantus Honor

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:44 pm

No real hard and fast rules. Either or. Whats comfortable for you basically.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”