Modern necessities

Moderator: Moderators

craig1459
Post Centurion

Modern necessities

Postby craig1459 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Phil the Grips wrote:or, to put it another way, were gauntlets generally not worn that much,other than with harness? More of a modern safety need/reenactment convention than a requirement of a historical battlefield?

Certainly hand protection was not at all widespread before or after this period.

I was thinking about this at the weekend in another situation too - the firebox/tray. Not a re-enactorism as such but more of a necessary "evil"?

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:38 pm

The reality would most likely be a firepit but we are obviously restricted to the raised fire at event sites for a myriad of reasons - archeological concerns/manicured lawns etc. Most public campsites will not let you have an open fire on the ground either.
It comes down to either cooking on a raised firebox or getting the gas burners out after the public have gone home.

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."
- Anne Lamott

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 am

Turdis spring to mind! H&SE would not be very happy with a midden heap or a hole in the ground.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Necessary Evil?
= portapoti!

Been to to many events where turdis ranks were overused & underserviced.
No good to man, beast -------- or especially for ladies or kids.

Good toilets are an arset for any event :D

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:20 am

For our cooking display, I've a small bowl which I keep topped up with either bleach or anti-bacterial cleaner. After raw fish or meat has been prepared, both table and chopping board get a thorough wipe down with a linen rag soaked in contents of bowl.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Have you done a COSHH assement for that and included it with your risk assesments?

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Jim Smith wrote:For our cooking display, I've a small bowl which I keep topped up with either bleach or anti-bacterial cleaner. After raw fish or meat has been prepared, both table and chopping board get a thorough wipe down with a linen rag soaked in contents of bowl.

From a Food Hygiene point of view that should never be bleach but always an anti-bacterial. How do I know this? When I ran an Espresso Bar we were not allowed to use bleach even for the staff toilet because we prepared food on site and their was a risk of cross contamination.

A period version would be a strong solution of washing soda, also use a brush on your table if it is not varnished, the same for your chopping board as this will release the natural anti-bacterials in wood.

Soph :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Vermin

Postby Vermin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Would vinegar work ?

(Finest balsamic obviously :D)

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:11 pm

Modern necessities....?
...Box of matches, coffee & an airbed is all I need. :wink:

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Definitely an airbed but also paracetamol, a fag lighter and a small discrete watch so I don't miss muster!

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Malvoisin wrote:Modern necessities....?
...Box of matches, coffee & an airbed is all I need. :wink:

The public don't need to know you have them, so it isn't quite the same.

Jim's watch is though; you have to keep looking at the bloody thing to when you're due where; that's a necessity of it being an entertainment rather than the real thing....

narvek

Postby narvek » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:06 pm

Well, you don't really need an airbed I sleep on my padded jack, and few sheephides. It's one of the best sleeps I'm having:)

But yeah, fags ang lighter:(

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Wolf-Rampant

Postby Wolf-Rampant » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:56 am

Just a thought relating to the watch/timepiece thingy....at most events the announcers can be heard calling for said events/meetings & performances to commence at certain times.

But I have yet to hear the said announcers state ''the time is now ...."

just a little prompt like this would help those of us who tend to loose track of time talking to the punters etc.

How many times have we had late musters with hurried kit on, etc due to this reason (hands up :oops: )

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Vermin wrote:Would vinegar work ?

(Finest balsamic obviously :D)

Vinegar might work (basic white is probably best), but my family have always used washing soda for jobs like this and my inherited late C19th/early C20th housekeeping manuals all recommend washing soda and soft soap or carbolic soap.

In Europe you can actually buy bottles of household vinegar for cleaning (I bring a couple back every year when I visit the parents in Luxembourg for various household jobs).

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:27 pm

Jim Smith wrote:For our cooking display, I've a small bowl which I keep topped up with either bleach or anti-bacterial cleaner. After raw fish or meat has been prepared, both table and chopping board get a thorough wipe down with a linen rag soaked in contents of bowl.

Citric acid is very good. Many farmers used when they ran out of the disinfectants in the foot & mouth thing a few years ago.

It is easy to come by. its a regular component of eco cleaners, toilet cleaners & cooker top cleaners.

Good stuff. Use it a lot.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:32 pm

Timekeeping is definitely a problem. What with having to know when the MOPs are due to arrive & leave, when the archery competition is, when you need to start arming up, when muster is etc. etc. it's very difficult when you're not allowed a watch. It's an anachronistic chronometer. I just wear one anyway, making sure it's hidden under my sleeve, and I try to look at it discretely when I think MOPs aren't looking. It's a necessary evil, sadly, but without it I'd be pretty stuck, most likely tempted to carry my mobile phone around for the clock on that, which is even worse!

We could get announcements made over the PA but frankly I'd be highly likely to miss them. The PA seems to be in constant use commentating on the various arena displays, so I tend to switch it off in my head and not pay attention to it, otherwise I'd go mad listening to every word. Maybe a prominently displayed clock would be good or a canon-fire or something *shrug*.

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:55 pm

Jim Smith, you could try lye as a quick washing agent for surfaces, it is a natural degreaser and is not as smelly as bleach, also a bye-product of the fire you are using.

Not sure of its anti-bacterial properties, but it is a good cleaning agent.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:20 pm

How about a bell being rung on the quarter hour to give an idea about the time?

Duck the arrows are coming!

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:00 pm

For general camp scrubbing /washing up, soft soap is a good and usually very period appropriate solution. Real soap will clean hands, hair, dishes, wood, cloth all without fuss, <ad mode on>its one main reason why I had a softsoap certified for legal sale when I was working on my soap range, <ad mode off>. Really though, any proper soap, water, and a scrubbing brush plus common sense about what follows meat onto a chopping board should keep you safe and fragrant without any problems. Plus it looks wierd and gloopy in its bowl or jar, always a bonus!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 am

I'm with you on announcers. I'm someone who likes to get ready slowly and carefully and announcements about an hour and then on every quarter would suit me fine. Good thing about the Fed evnts I've been to this year is that they have three or four battles going on during the day so I just get ready at the start of the day and stay in armour until the end of the last battle.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 am

sally wrote:For general camp scrubbing /washing up, soft soap is a good and usually very period appropriate solution. Real soap will clean hands, hair, dishes, wood, cloth all without fuss, <ad mode on>its one main reason why I had a softsoap certified for legal sale when I was working on my soap range, <ad mode off>. Really though, any proper soap, water, and a scrubbing brush plus common sense about what follows meat onto a chopping board should keep you safe and fragrant without any problems. Plus it looks wierd and gloopy in its bowl or jar, always a bonus!

Sally's tallow soap also lathers perfectly for shaving!

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

behanner

Postby behanner » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Wine is as good an anti-bacterial as most if not all foodsafe products on the market.

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Wolf-Rampant wrote:Just a thought relating to the watch/timepiece thingy....at most events the announcers can be heard calling for said events/meetings & performances to commence at certain times.

But I have yet to hear the said announcers state ''the time is now ...."

just a little prompt like this would help those of us who tend to loose track of time talking to the punters etc.

How many times have we had late musters with hurried kit on, etc due to this reason (hands up :oops: )

I have recurring bloody dreams about struggling into gear and jogging and jingling to musters. I just managed to tail on the end of the line at an event this Sunday because of the lack of announcements aimed at the actual participants. :x

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Shouldn't your Captain be letting you know it's time to get ready?

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

- Anne Lamott

narvek

Postby narvek » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:54 am

StaffordCleggy wrote:Shouldn't your Captain be letting you know it's time to get ready?

No, he should be roaring at you:"What's your problem you bl**dy pig!? How comes you're not ready yet? Move your a*se and dress!....And you two sh*teaters, come over here and help me get ready!"

:lol: :lol:

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 am

StaffordCleggy wrote:Shouldn't your Captain be letting you know it's time to get ready?

We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Dave B wrote:Have you done a COSHH assement for that and included it with your risk assesments?

I'm going to assume that's a joke...

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Sophia wrote:

From a Food Hygiene point of view that should never be bleach but always an anti-bacterial. How do I know this? When I ran an Espresso Bar we were not allowed to use bleach even for the staff toilet because we prepared food on site and their was a risk of cross contamination.

A period version would be a strong solution of washing soda, also use a brush on your table if it is not varnished, the same for your chopping board as this will release the natural anti-bacterials in wood.

Well, I've been using a watered solution of bleach at every event for the past four years. No complaints and no ill-effects. I have period soft soap for cleaning the table in front of mops.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:16 pm

I can second Alan's commendation of Sally's Soap, excellent for shaving and keeps well, seeing as it is dry.

Sally Soap for the WIN!!!

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:54 pm

Jim Smith wrote:
Dave B wrote:Have you done a COSHH assement for that and included it with your risk assesments?

I'm going to assume that's a joke...

Nope. Not really.

I was hinting that once you do risc assesments for an activity at all you effectively acknowledge that the activity is proffesional not domestic. Then if you use any product with a warning symbol on you have to do the coshh assesment. and I suspect you didn't because having read the COSHH sheet you'd have decided not to use bleach for sanitising food prep surfaces.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Return to “1100-1500”