Coopering

Moderator: Moderators

Clarenceboy

Coopering

Postby Clarenceboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Just a question about coopered items like buckets, barrells, butter churns etc
How should they be bound in the 15th century in the UK

I know hazel it correct but I was wondering about brasss hoops as well?
From what I have heard steel or iron hoops don't appear till a bit later and are more of a 16th thing but I wondered if brass hoops were at all common?

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Steven J Allen, MA, of Reading University's Dept of Archaeology, wrote a paper for the Finds Research Group back in 1995 entitled "Medieval Coopered Vessels". He had studied all types of preserved vessels and fragments thereof from across the whole of England, including vats, tubs, barrels, buckets, casks and so on from the 12th to the 15th centuries.

He says that later medieval casks were raised around a small iron brazier burning oak shavings; this allowed the sides of the cask to be given a more pronounced curve - 12th century examples have only a very shallow curve, like Roman barrels.

Hoops were most often of wood such as ash, hazel and willow - more rarely of rivetted iron bands (no 16th century examples were involved in these studies). No mention of brass fittings of any kind.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Coopering

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:32 pm

For buckets - http://larsdatter.com/buckets.htm
For butter-churns - http://larsdatter.com/churns.htm
(In the middle of a bit of a redesign, sorry about the inconsistent look between those two pages!)

There are a few examples of oak buckets with iron bands on that first link, including at least one from the 15th century.

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks for the information Brother Ranulf have to see if it can find the paper.
Karen, the pics are interesting but hard to tell if the bands are metal or wood however the find in the well in York seems to suggest that they did use metal to hoop coopered items as well as wood.

Thank you both very much I can do a bit more digging now!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:53 pm

The problem as always is in finding a cooperage who will do authenti-buckets.

And now I have even more studies to look up and purchase.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 pm

We managed to get some extremely good handmade buckets from a Polish trader a couple of years ago, with proper split withies. I think the staves are alder, but I could be wrong.

The only problem was that the withies were not pegged through into the staves and so slipped after a while - a simple repair job.

Another point about handles - English buckets almost always had rope or curved iron handles; many European repros today have a wooden handle which doesn't seem to be correct for this part of the world.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Check out these guys www.matuls.pl took a while for them to deliver (7 months) but then I did put in a big order.
Otherwise we recently picked up a pair of nice barrells from the ILHF so worth a go there too.
Both polish companies, I have a feeling there is a little old polish chap working away at them the same as he has been doing for the last 50 years or so. At least thats what I'd like to think ;-)

bourbon

Postby bourbon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:56 am

Buy British I say, The Ferrers household got their Casks, (a barrel is a size) from Les Skinner bootle He has a Website that i can't find at the moment. but he is very good an interesting bloke to talk to and understands what we need. On a note, Casks take some looking after

Always have a plan 'B'

Vermin

Postby Vermin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:48 pm

This one ?

http://barrels.org.uk/page.php?domain_n ... wpage=home

(Don't know him - just bored in work) :)

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 pm

I got a really good bucket from the Polish trader --------- can't remember his name, but do a search for Polish Traders on this web site.

Got it at Hastings 2006. Approx £35. Made by 80+ yr old guy. Excellent.

Links off his web site lead to the cooperage pages.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

bourbon

Postby bourbon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks for that Vermin that's the one

Always have a plan 'B'

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:49 pm

I tried e-mailing Skinners a few months ago, had nothing back. I'll phone them eventually.

bourbon

Postby bourbon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 am

Having been to his workshop, he was lucky to find the kettle never mind a computer!

Always have a plan 'B'

Return to “1100-1500”