Shortbow - who makes them ?

Moderator: Moderators

valen

Shortbow - who makes them ?

Post by valen »

Guys, I'm looking for someone to make me up something similar to the bow you see in this guy's hand;

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1669

Does anyone know who could make such a thing ? Is there little difference between long & shortbow, that any bow maker could do it ?

John

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

By definition, the difference between a long and a short bow is actually the height of the user. A longbow is longer than its user and a short bow shorter. Other than that, there is no difference (as afr as I am aware!). The bow pictured would appear to have a slight re-curve to it - perhaps to increase the power of the bow without adding the extra length. I would suggest taking a copy of the picure around the usual bowyer suspects at the markets and see if they are able to oblige.
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

H Valen, a wooden bow of this length would be very weak simply because the draw length is very short, and looking at the size of the arrowheads in the same picture it would suggest that the bow had considerable power and therefore I would think that it is made of a composite material similar to horsebows. In which case easy to buy.

The arrows he is also carrying are too long to be drawn on a wooden bow of that length. Most irish bows would be wooden but as these are irish mercanieries they could have aquired the bow from anywhere.
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Dave Brown

Post by Dave Brown »

Try contacting Steve Ralphs or DIY archery
long live the longbow

BrendanGrif

Post by BrendanGrif »

As an aside on this the original Durer Watercolour was on display in Dublin a while back - it suggested (to me) that the picture was more a sketch with deliberately exaggerated elements than an attempt to capture reality - the feet in particular were a bit mad.

Brendan