Templar alliance

Moderator: Moderators

mac (crucesignati)

Templar alliance

Postby mac (crucesignati) » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:37 pm

I have tried, unsuccessfully, over the years to get a Templar group together. This has proved difficult due to work, commitments etc etc etc... or maybe because I have a look about me that says 'do not join with this man'! (I dont mean in the biblical sense either)

As a few Templars seem to popping up here and there now in different groups, does the idea of an 'alliance' of people following this persuasion sound worthwhile? I don't mean some sort of beast with constitutions, rules etc etc. Just like-minded re-enactors coordinating to muster at the same bashes to achieve what could not be done by one imagined group alone?

Responses?

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 pm

Just as long as us Hospitallers don't have to stand anywhere near you.. especially downwind :wink:

mac (crucesignati)

Postby mac (crucesignati) » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:16 pm

You are always welcome to join the senior Order. One day, everyone will be a Templar, it's just a matter of time and then... my plan for world domination commences... Mwah, Mwaaahahhhhh

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:02 am

Leave your heretical templar ways, and join the glorious ranks of the Fratres Domus hospitalis sanctae Marie teutonicorum.

Thats the teutonic knights to those of you who don't speak latin.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 am

mac (crucesignati) wrote:You are always welcome to join the senior Order. One day, everyone will be a Templar, it's just a matter of time and then... my plan for world domination commences... Mwah, Mwaaahahhhhh

Like I said in another thread;
Misplacing Acre + Too much money + Funny hand shakes + Sodomy = Barbeque. :twisted:

Good idea, good luck with it.

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 am

Its too late at night to get any serious replys...

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:35 pm

mac (crucesignati) Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are always welcome to join the senior Order. One day, everyone will be a Templar, it's just a matter of time and then... my plan for world domination commences... Mwah, Mwaaahahhhhh

You're only senior from a military perspective, Hospitallers were founded first! :P

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:40 pm

well pointd out that welsh man

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:25 pm

What would being a Templar involve, in an English domestic context? Sitting around and counting all your cash?

"I never said that I was here to help."

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Or as we offered EH a cracking display of High medieval bank management

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Pah - join the one true army of God and become a Hussite!

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:04 pm

mac (crucesignati) wrote:You are always welcome to join the senior Order. One day, everyone will be a Templar, it's just a matter of time and then... my plan for world domination commences... Mwah, Mwaaahahhhhh

That's be the 'senior order' that was formed 13 years after the Hospitallers?

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

mac (crucesignati)

Postby mac (crucesignati) » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:29 am

Medicus Matt wrote:What would being a Templar involve, in an English domestic context? Sitting around and counting all your cash?

Errr, well... yes!

Alan_F wrote:That's be the 'senior order' that was formed 13 years after the Hospitallers?

By senior, I don't mean time done. I mean militarily, piously, wealthily, etc etc. Oh, and flammable -ly :)

Brother-Knight

Postby Brother-Knight » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:47 am

I'm interested in eventually joining said alliance, however I have only just become interested in re-enacting so may take a while to get kitted out. On the subject of which any ideas of where to go to purchase the required kit?

BK

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:44 am

mac (crucesignati) wrote:
Alan_F wrote:That's be the 'senior order' that was formed 13 years after the Hospitallers?

By senior, I don't mean time done. I mean militarily, piously, wealthily, etc etc. Oh, and flammable -ly :)

But I thought the Templars were all too busy digging for the lost treasures of Solomon.... :wink: :lol:

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 am

Brother-Knight wrote:I'm interested in eventually joining said alliance, however I have only just become interested in re-enacting so may take a while to get kitted out. On the subject of which any ideas of where to go to purchase the required kit?

BK

For the padded armour side of things try out Deborah Lough (Tuppence on these forums, Trades at TORM). This will be your first armour purchase, as its what everything else goes over.

Helmets You could go Get dressed for battle for cheap but serviceable helms. Other, more expensive places include a'plaisance or st Georges Armoury. Both are bespoke armourers, so what you want may not be on their websites, but they'll do it for you. Will cost more than GDFB, but be nicer.

Maille, go with GDFB or Cappapie (which I don't have a link for). Those are about as cheap as you want to go, without seriously compromising authenticity.

Swords, everyone has their own favourite maker, but mine is Tim Noyes, who trades under the name Heron Armouries. At TORM you can see his swords on Phil Frasers stand, but most of those will be later periods, so its best to mail order and get exactly what you want.

Welcome to the fold, you'll find us likable, but heavily opinionated.

Zac

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:34 am

BK

Although I agree whole heartedly with Zachos. I would also look at your soft kit first. I dont want to Cuba the thread but INMHO this is the thing that most people get wrong.

And there are many people here who will help you with that side

Alixx

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 am

Brother-Knight wrote:I'm interested in eventually joining said alliance, however I have only just become interested in re-enacting so may take a while to get kitted out. On the subject of which any ideas of where to go to purchase the required kit?

BK

Depends what you require Debs has just done some Templar soft kit for Griff which was I think used on the book launch of Robyn Young's third book.

So we can do it and its bloomin good

Firstt hing you need tog et is a good apir of boots and then come and see debs about the full soft kit

oakenshield

Postby oakenshield » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Ayliffe's Steve wrote:Pah - join the one true army of God and become a Hussite!

hussites need a slap then burned at the stake

Allan Harley

Postby Allan Harley » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 pm

If you're a Beaufort you can preach crusade against the Hussites :lol:
Then go beat em up :roll:

Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Earl Mortimer

Postby Earl Mortimer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm

/quote]

Depends what you require Debs has just done some Templar soft kit for Griff which was I think used on the book launch of Robyn Young's third book.

Is the third book already out?

I liked the cover on the first book 'Breathren'. A really cracking looking knight :D

The second cover for crusade was pants and i had to laugh when i brought my new book called 'The Knights of the Black and white' and theres the same shot but with the other knight put back in.(you have to see both covers to understand) The publishers must be cutting back on costs :lol:

Shane

The Swords Of Mercia Society
http://www.swordsofmercia.co.uk/
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk/

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 pm

well the launch was on saturday

Know waht you mean thought looks famialir

Brother-Knight

Postby Brother-Knight » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:06 am

I met Robyn Young on Saturday, she was signing copies of Brethren and Crusade in Canterbury, accompanied by five Templar Knights, in fact it was those guys who gave me the idea of joining these forums.

The author herself was a really lovely, down to earth woman with a real passion for her chosen subject. I hope Requiem will be as good as its predecessors.

Small world eh?

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 am

hussites need a slap then burned at the stake

5 crusades tried ... and the sixth attempt could not get anyone to go!

Join us!

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:07 am

Brother-Knight wrote:I met Robyn Young on Saturday, she was signing copies of Brethren and Crusade in Canterbury, accompanied by five Templar Knights, in fact it was those guys who gave me the idea of joining these forums.

The author herself was a really lovely, down to earth woman with a real passion for her chosen subject. I hope Requiem will be as good as its predecessors.

Small world eh?

ah right so you saw the kit Debs made then

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:54 pm

and i was wearing the kit! As one of those 5 knights can i make a plea to anyone wanting to be a Templar.

1. Read the Rules of the Order.

2. Ignore getting the kit, grow a bl*!!dy beard before you do anything.

Templars who shave are not Templars.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:57 pm

and I prefer being a Hospitaler as they are nice and help people. Don't see Templars dishing out band aids and sun cream!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Here is a few of us and Robyn, who was really nice.

Must point out that we are not a group. The publishers came to my company for the launch and we arranged the horses, bodies and costumes from my pool of kit.
Attachments
Crusade 3.jpg
Crusade 1.jpg

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:22 am

sean looks like a statue

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 am

yeah, sun was blazing down in that spot.

Mind you, you should see his acting sometimes... :wink: :wink:

Return to “1100-1500”