is that a real baby?....

Moderator: Moderators

kate/bob

is that a real baby?....

Postby kate/bob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:51 am

It's dawned on me that if anyone asks me intelligent questions about children in 15th c I will have no idea how to answer them. Could people let me know what sort of questions we're likely to get and the accepted answers?

ta

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 am

Your chances of being asked an intelligent question about children are so far beyond remote you will need the Hubble Space Telescope to spot them. I have lost count of the numbers of times I have been told that "They didn't have children in those days".
Being asked intelligent questions by children, however, is a much more likely event.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:56 am

What people really mean when they say

"did they have that then?"

is

"tell me more about it"

People, even intelligent ones do that, it is their way of breaking the ice between you, the dresser upper and them, the MOP.

kate/bob - I can suggest a read of "Growing up in Medieval London", by Barbara Hanawalt, great insight into life of children.

Kids are also covered in her other great book "the Ties that Bound".

She relies on coroners' reports for tracking the activities of children, place and age of death, gender, gives an idea of what they were up to.

Clearly kids were still kids, workling was generally restricted to light activities in the home and as they got stronger harder work.

Excellent reads though.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 pm

gregory23b wrote:What people really mean when they say

"did they have that then?"

is

"tell me more about it"

Spot on!

Excellent reads though.

Seconded! :D

James Bretlington

Postby James Bretlington » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:Being asked intelligent questions by children, however, is a much more likely event.

Lucky man. QWe usually get asked questions along the lines of - 'is that real food?' - 'Is that fire real?' Or one that they only direct at me ' Is that your real accent?'

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 am

Generally I get "can we take their picture" :D

But be careful, at Warwick last year I had my back turned for 1 minute to find my youngest in the arms of a MOP couple who took offence when took her out of their arms and told them off :x

Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 pm

so I shouldn't expect to be quizzed on medieval childcare then! Thanks for the book suggestions just in case some intelligent people turn up.

mally ley

Postby mally ley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:07 pm

A couple of other suggestions:

Medieval Children by Nicholas Orme.
He's also written one about medieval schools - which covers from roman to tudor times :?

Yesterday's Children by Sally Kevill-Daives
this one is a 'through the ages' one, but interesting none-the-less

I've not read either cover to cover, but dipped in to both.

Hope this helps.

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:52 pm

Yesterday's Children by Sally Kevill-Daives

< Name drop mode>
If this is who I think it is, she is the wife of one of the ex-Rectors of the church I attend... She's also well known in the ceramics world.
<name drop mode off>
Last edited by Gail Horn on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 am

I imagine that there aren't that many people around with that name!

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:17 pm

My older kids spend their time gambling - cards and dice - in the 17thC so it's pretty self evident what they're doing. :D

The younger ones, whatever period we've been re-enacting, just tend to get stalked for their cute photos (ditto local papers covering events - never bothered about the fancy people wearing £1000 worth of kit, but head straight for the baby/toddlers in the rubbishy outfit you knocked up the night before).

If I'm doing something living history my older ones might help out, so people can see them 'working' - again, is self evident what they're doing, then. Really depends on your role in living history, but the later periods seem more fun for the kids as there's more they can do. :D We've been involved in groups where kids seem to have been not welcome and other groups where they're an essential part of what is done - so the prevailing dynamic of the group also affects how muc kids can and can't do and again, we've found the 17thC groups are much more child friendly and able to use kids effectively in what they're trying to achieve - in other words, if members of the public are asking you what the kids did - you've already failed to portray it well enough. Or you've found yourself in a group with an anti-kid atmosphere which can happen.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:00 pm

I also feel that kids are valuable & integral members of any group -- including medieval. They add another facet to portrayals. Its a great medium for the quiet kids to 'shine' -- without ridicule from any hometown classmates. A really good environment for them to grow up in :D

Then there are the other aspects ...... washing up, firewood collecting & chopping, provide £loans from their pocket money (charge interest) for that extra bottle of Moniac,........ etc. etc. :twisted:

Sadly mine is now a teen who 'does not do washing up' :( ....... even for money!

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

mattb

Postby mattb » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 pm

Just remember the reply to "is that a real baby?" is "no it's a replica, i made it myself."

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:08 am

Type16 wrote:Sadly mine is now a teen who 'does not do washing up' :( ....... even for money!

So they don't "DO" eating then?

But back to topic, kids are always important, ok some events work better for the kids than others, we did an event based on games and with our "group kids" leading the way we got lots of "MOP kids" playing much to everyones enjoyment.

Duck the arrows are coming!

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm

being as Islay's only 3 months old she's not going to be doing an awful lot apart from showing how medieval babies threw up on their clothes and managed to get poo all over everything!

I can't see that there's going to be a problem having a baby in our household as none of us have a mental age over about 4 anyway - afterall, our motto is "it seemed like a good idea at the time!".

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:52 pm

And she's got a whole raft of mad Aunties! Does Linz know what gender hers is yet? It would be kinda tidy to have one new Mooselet of each sex.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:56 pm

i always say that by using the rule of primary course that only rich people had babies

most of the painting of kids are of rich kids

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 am

G & L have decided to wait and see what flavour their baby is. We should know very soon though as it'll be cooked in a couple of weeks.

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:45 pm

the real lord duvet wrote:i always say that by using the rule of primary course that only rich people had babies

Depends on when you're looking for -- most of the 16th century paintings are of rich kids, but there's plenty of "poor kids" and some in-between, if you look hard enough. :lol:

It needs updating, but http://larsdatter.com/children.htm has some reasonably good details on this.

(I'm working on sewing my son a small version of the Herjolfsnes 62 tunic; at the next event we go to, his dad will be wearing his Herjolfsnes 63 cote, and I'll be wearing my Herjolfsnes 39 dress, so we'll all be Herjolfsneezing together, I s'pose! :wink: Hoping to get a little linen bib done, too.)

James Bretlington

Postby James Bretlington » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:01 pm

Karen Larsdatter wrote:Herjolfsneezing

Gesundheit! :lol:

Vermin

Postby Vermin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:38 pm

the real lord duvet wrote:i always say that by using the rule of primary course that only rich people had babies

Ah - I assume from this the poor had to make do with the rich's cast off kids and any they didn't want :)

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:02 pm

But then, what use is a child who won't do the washing up?

Even if he is a richer family's cast off? :twisted:

Knowing is only half the battle.

KezT

Postby KezT » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm

apart from the "did they have children then?" "is it real?" and "how do you turn the baby off?" (I wish i knew!) I have mostly been asked about what they wore, where, when and how they worked/played, and when they got a proper job/married/had babies of their own.

Oh, and from other mothers - what did they use for nappies? (not alot most of the time, moss sometimes), how do you stop them eating dirt? (I don't) and how do you get them to play like that? (stick them in a field without computers/TV/books & they play!)

People do seem to assume that they can just pick them up for photo oppotunities though:-) Mine have started begging money from gullible Americans!!!

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 am

I seem to have been under the mistaken belief that I might be asked some intelligent and sensible questions, after some of the things I've been asked in the past couple of years I should've known better really!

KezT

Postby KezT » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:04 am

True - but there is always the one person/family at any event who keep you on your toes asking thoughtful and suitable questions.

You will probably discover they are actully another re-enactor in disguise, or maybe an archeologist But I have been asked some very good questions in my time - to balance the ridiculous :lol:

mattb

Postby mattb » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:42 pm

KezT wrote:True - but there is always the one person/family at any event who keep you on your toes asking thoughtful and suitable questions.

You will probably discover they are actully another re-enactor in disguise, or maybe an archeologist But I have been asked some very good questions in my time - to balance the ridiculous :lol:

So do reenactors in disguise as mops make athenticity mistakes? Like wizards pretending to muggles perhaps?

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:20 pm

KezT wrote:True - but there is always the one person/family at any event who keep you on your toes asking thoughtful and suitable questions.

Nope, that sensible family are probably the ones home educating the kids -the reencators in disguise are the ones trying to wind you up by asking REALLY stupid things! :roll:

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

LaydeIsabella

Postby LaydeIsabella » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:28 am

m300572 wrote:

Nope, that sensible family are probably the ones home educating the kids -the reencators in disguise are the ones trying to wind you up by asking REALLY stupid things! :roll:

I seem to remember this being followed by the line "E's a re-inactor, get 'im!"

Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me. Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me.

Return to “1100-1500”