Medieval Letters

Moderator: Moderators

Ben Rodgers

Medieval Letters

Postby Ben Rodgers » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:25 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding medieval letters im prefurably looking for letters for the laity and trying to steer away from any monastic ones, I already have the pastons but im look for more of those sorts,

hopefully that makes sense

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:50 am

Try the National Archive online search - lots and lots of scanned in documents that are searchable by date and keywords

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline

they are free to download

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 am

For collections like the Pastons, try the Stonors and Plumptons, or for non-gentry, try the Celys (wool merchants) - all are published.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 am

Ben, also try your public records office, they may well have letters, which as you already know come in many forms which may be why they were stored there.

You cold always ask your history dept ;-)

The Celys - heavy going but not if you like wool ;-) a good insight into trade and mercantile behaviour from the eyes of the people that did it though, amongst the wool banter are letters reporting battles, accostings by spaniards, receipts etc.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Ben try Access to Archives.
The A2A database contains catalogues describing archives held locally in England and Wales and dating from the eighth century to the present day.

The A2A database was last updated in October 2007 and now contains 10.1 million records relating to 9.25 million items held in 414 record offices and other repositories.

There might be something amongst that lot. :wink:
Also; http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/services/mss/

Sorry to Cuba but just had a look at the Doomsday book on the National Archives for Bulwell, Nottingham. Or Bulewelle as it was known.
Has the following list of names:
Aelfheah; Aethelric; Almaer; Alwine; Ambrose, man of William Peverel; Bovi; Brun; Glaedwine; Godwine; Godwine the priest; Grim; Grimkel; Healfdene; Morcar; Olaf; Robert, man of William Peverel; Sasfrid, man of William Peverel; Siward; Skuli; Stapolwine; Swein; Ulfkil; Warner, man of William Peverel; Wulfnoth; Wulfsige; Wulfsige Cild

Spot the Normans in there! :D
Very interesting.
It'll cost me £3.50 to download a PDF copy mind. :(

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Thank you all you have all been a great help.

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

Return to “1100-1500”