Shelter for Riff Raff

Moderator: Moderators

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

So your point is ?

the tale is the same
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Malvoisin

Post by Malvoisin »

Nigel wrote:So your point is ?

the tale is the same
Is the point that billeting causes agro.

Or ... Give a Norman what he wants when he wants it.
If you don't, then don't be surprised if you get stabbed! :twisted:
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

jelayemprins

norman breastplates

Post by jelayemprins »

Well if they had breastplates it obviously implies they must have had breasts to put in them :lol:
'making history happen'
-

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"Or ... Give a Norman what he wants when he wants it.
If you don't, then don't be surprised if you get stabbed! "

More like, if you are a norman be nice to your Saxon hosts.

Perfidious garlic munching wannabe vikings. pah!
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Jim

Re: norman breastplates

Post by Jim »

jelayemprins wrote:Well if they had breastplates it obviously implies they must have had breasts to put in them :lol:
Are you suggesting they were some kind of early female-impersonation squad?
www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Its a translation error in the ASC (one of many) which any body with half a brain cell filters out without the need for pretention
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Post by Brother Ranulf »

The Chronicles are full of terms the exact translation of which have eluded even those possessing maximum braincell capacity - examples are minster, hergian, man, and a host of complex compounds with slean (to kill) - for example ofslean - each of which meant something very subtly different to the writers but which give modern translators brain ache.

The usual modern English translation of the Dover episode reads "wanted to lodge at the home of a certain householder against his will.." - the Old English text has much more bias towards "wanted to take over his house . .", implying the attempted eviction of the owner, leading to the fracas I described. The verb used for "to lodge" (innian) can mean both accepting hospitality and taking full control of a premises - since the Normans were accused later of throwing their weight about (not just in Dover but in London and elsewhere), I would opt for the latter sense. If they had been simply accepting hospitality, there would have been no fight .....
Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

and your point is ?

Malvoisin

Post by Malvoisin »

Take this thread to Cuba!!
:lol:
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Some people are never wrong-ask castro?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

For some reason, I got entirely the wrong idea from the title of this thread...
Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Alan E

Post by Alan E »

Nigel wrote: ...Lets have a look at what really happened shall we as reported in the ASC

No mention of eviction free lodging yes
Brother Ranulf wrote:...
The usual modern English translation of the Dover episode reads "wanted to lodge at the home of a certain householder against his will.." - the Old English text has much more bias towards "wanted to take over his house . .", implying the attempted eviction of the owner, leading to the fracas I described. The verb used for "to lodge" (innian) can mean both accepting hospitality and taking full control of a premises - since the Normans were accused later of throwing their weight about (not just in Dover but in London and elsewhere), I would opt for the latter sense. If they had been simply accepting hospitality, there would have been no fight .....
Nigel wrote:and your point is ?
Surely the point is that "No mention of eviction" is (at least) questionable and that the first interpretation (Saxon evicted) is the one that the Brother would opt for (reasons given in his post)?
'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

The Normans basically opted for free quarter

there are a number of versions of the ASC each has its good points and funny ones too

Just because somebody choses a version doesn't make it right

And to get abck to wills original question shelters are ok think bassha type and hoep i dont trop over em :D