Jack Construction

Moderator: Moderators

The Methley Archer

Jack Construction

Postby The Methley Archer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:03 am

Is there any reference for lacing the side panels of a jack together instead of sewing them.

I,ve seen one illustration in a CoStG Dragon magazine.

Is there any more out there before I start to repair mine and possibly go down that route (waist is thickening a bit :oops: ).

Thanks,

Chris

Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:53 pm

I think I've seen something for a side closing being laced shut, but with it sewn up at the front.

Not sure beyond that.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Chris, yclept John Barber

Postby Chris, yclept John Barber » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:I think I've seen something for a side closing being laced shut, but with it sewn up at the front.

Not sure beyond that.

I hope the thing that's niggling at your memory isn't my C13th gambeson, Colin - I make no claims for its authenticity!

For the benefit of those who don't know it, my gambeson is side-laced down the right-hand side. At the time of making, it seemed like a sensible approach from a safety point of view, giving an uninterrupted protection of the chest. The vulnerable point where the panels lace shut is furthest from the enemy when fighting with a shield.

However, I am clear on its low authenty-rating. I have no provenance for such a design. It is used for a 'Historical Entertainment' tourney and dressing up kids in school classes. Being stuffed with modern quilting fibre, it can be machine-washed and tumble-dried so that they aren't completely repelled by the stench of stale sweat and woodsmoke that hangs around most more authentic garments! I recently washed my C15th jack for the first time (it's only two and a half years old!), and it took nearly three weeks to dry.

When the budget permits, I intend to get a more authentic one made or purchased. I have never doubted the practicality or the safety aspects of the side-opening, and I'm sure that some people in the past would have had the same idea and commissioned their gambesons to that pattern. However, if I am to get a more authentic one it will be front-opening to avoid the re-enactorism of 'Yeah, it's good so someone must have done it even though there aren't any contemporary pictures of it'.

If you do find any other references, Archer, let me know because I'd still like the side-opening even in an authentically heavy, sweaty gambeson.

Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:59 pm

not aware of any refs, but if it came from the co of st g there must be one.

my advice would be to ask - their forum used to be open to all, so you could try that - or else just e-mail

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:23 pm

No Chirs, I wan't thinking of your gambeson. I think it was in Medieval Military Costume (G Embleton), but it could have been a painting.

I've also seen reference to a 'port peice' fitted to a jack so that the edges can touch, without leaving a gap for blades to slide through.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:01 pm

there ar eindded and as far as Iam aware only one company manufacturing them fits them

wonder who that is ? :D

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Agnese

Postby Agnese » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:04 pm

I've found good web site with great pictures of gambeson. I think you'll find there well handmade reconstruction of 13th Century or later.

http://www.kokoszowamanufaktura.eu/en/

Return to “1100-1500”