zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:21 pm

Nigel wrote:Ben/Jim

youa re talking about the same thing BUT differant things

Jim 15th century con joined

Ben single leg

both right but single leg easier

Indeed, we are talking about Banockburn aren't we?

Split leg hose are easy to make. Joint hose are terrible to make.

I got my shoes off ebay for £34 and they have lasted me four or so years (i've probably just doomed them for the next show) and are as authentic as you can get for under a few hundred quid.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:47 pm

GDFB do decent shoes for about £55 I believe. My own pair are two seasons old, and still going strong.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Guthrie, please correct me if I am wrong, biut his Niceness had already mentioned your new group, I put in CODDS at first then realised my error, please forgive me oh great one, what penance should i make?

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

stephen wootten

Postby stephen wootten » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:45 pm

you could alwas come north of london and come into some cleaner air, ie bedfordshire. we are allways on the look for new bods, have a look at our website and see what you think

http://www.house-of-bayard.co.uk

enjoy.

steve

cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar

stephen wootten

Postby stephen wootten » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:48 pm

and we got a show on this saterday in houghton regis so you can always come and 'mop' it to see what you think.

steve

cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:38 am

gregory23b wrote:Guthrie, please correct me if I am wrong, biut his Niceness had already mentioned your new group, I put in CODDS at first then realised my error, please forgive me oh great one, what penance should i make?

Ahh yes but he suggested we were a guild. It is understandable regharding CoDDs, but we shall keep you informed.
As for penance, I am looking for various flammable substances so hope you might know where to get some, I'll pm you later.

Back on topic- Bazman, you also need a sense of humour to do re-enacting.
I am the Chairman of The Company of St Margaret, (see sig for contact details) so if you are in Edinburgh some time and you fancy meeting us to see if you could do Bannockburn with us next year, just drop us a line.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:40 am

"Back on topic- Bazman, you also need a sense of humour to do re-enacting."

HAHA but very true, it is not for the po-faced by any means.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I should add that so far he has not shown any inclination to be humourless, so that is good.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:02 pm

Indeed and Scottish too. :twisted:

Chris, yclept John Barber

Postby Chris, yclept John Barber » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:17 pm

[quote="Bazman
I do alot of martial arts so don't mind a few cuts and bruises but lossing a limb well that's just more commitment then I feel I could give. So I suppose I can understand that some training is required beforehand even if it is a bit frustrating :-)

Baz[/quote]

We don't stand much chance of losing limbs, that's why the weapons are blunted. But there's a big gap between that and "a few cuts and bruises". With weaponry, an inexperienced person is most likely to hit an opponent on the hands, since their opponent is bringing their weapon up to parry. Most martial arts cuts and bruises are on well-muscled bits with big bones - torso, forearms, etc. Hands have a lot less resistance to damage and the bones break quite easily.

Even with armoured gloves a good thwack can hurt or pinch the edges of a hand. Some people apparently still believe that gardening or welding gloves constitute adequate protection. A good smack will probably break their fingers, which can affect their ability to work for weeks. Even if nothing's broken, bruising and swelling can impair someone who, for example, spends most of their day at a keyboard as so many people do nowadays.

Frankly, you're not that likely to get hurt by an experienced fighter. The danger is that an inexperienced fighter will hurt someone else. And that's why a reputable society won't let you on the field till you have satisfied them that you can fight safely. They don't want anyone saying "Oh yes, he was hurt by someone from XXX society. They let some clown on the field without training - he was completely out of control and didn't have a clue what he was doing."

The good news is that it's all about mind/body coordination and situational awareness. As an experienced martial artist, you probably already have that, and a decent muscle tone which will give you a respectable amount of stamina. It shouldn't take you long to get to battlefield standard if you apply yourself.

Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:44 am

PM sent 8)

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Bazman

Postby Bazman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks to everyone who has responded I'm going through these now and will definitely be following a couple of them up

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:24 pm

You will have plenty to choose from and the best thing is we are all related, so whatever group you join you wil be only a few steps away from almost any other reenactor anywhere (did I say that was a good thing?) best of luck and enjoy the journey - best bit.

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Do it have to be muddieval or will any porridge based fighting group do you? Coz there is always Tods mob of skirted ruffians who 'do' the '45 and I believe he also does Glenbuckets regt in the civil war era. He posts as Tod and can be found down in the 1715-18summat section.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:48 am

Hraefn - Tod has also become a mud eater, he seems to be addicted to stick and string based combat - he gets about a bit that boy.

Wobbly Paul

Postby Wobbly Paul » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:09 pm

Bazman...if you're still about (and all the above hasn't put you off :shock: ) you could try getting along to Groombridge Place near Tunbridge Wells this weekend and checking out the MSS show there. Chatting to people in camp might give you a good idea of what's involved?

histrenact

Postby histrenact » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:03 am

Similarly if you are still interested we are starting our winter training/practice sessions on Sunday October 7th 12:00-18:00 in Kingston-upon-Thames and you would be very welcome to come along and say hello, actually so would anyone else for that matter......

Take care

David D.
(with me Mediaeval Combat Society head on.... http://www.themcs.org )

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:06 pm

gregory23b wrote:Hraefn - Tod has also become a mud eater, he seems to be addicted to stick and string based combat - he gets about a bit that boy.

Hraefn wrote:Do it have to be muddieval or will any porridge based fighting group do you? Coz there is always Tods mob of skirted ruffians who 'do' the '45 and I believe he also does Glenbuckets regt in the civil war era. He posts as Tod and can be found down in the 1715-18summat section.

Not Glenbuckets, but I am in Gordon's in the SK. As well of being in Lace Wars (Rose and Thistle).
As for that archer bloke I don't know who he is, I have no knowledge of him or his invisible griffin, and if any one asks you haven't seen me, right.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:18 pm

Or by all means try and make our drink up in London, see F and G.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:33 pm

I believe he also does Glenbuckets regt in the civil war era.

That's me! Glenbucket's is the 1745 alter ego of the Earl of Loudoun's Regiment of the ECWS

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Return to “1100-1500”