Search found 1115 matches

by Fox
Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Re: sheepskins etc

So if this is life within doors in the City of London [guessing its the 'norm'] then why should tents have luxurious floor coverings. I don't expect the sh*t on the floor of tents btw :shock: That certainly is worth considering. Says something about the way floors in general might be thought about....
by Fox
Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:12 am
Forum: Creative Works
Topic: Flash Fiction
Replies: 8
Views: 3401

Flash Fiction

Flash fiction is a form of extremely short stories, generally less than 2000 words. I've written one or two over the years, most of them less than 500 words. I thought, for no particular reason, I'd share this one with you. It's inspired by something Alan Moore says in his album Snakes and Ladders. ...
by Fox
Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:58 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Aginoth wrote:Guilty as charged....we put sheepskin/fleece on our tent floor, but ...

1. our tent is closed
Then it's not part of your display, so it's not inauthentic (in terms of re-enactment).

I sleep on an airbed, but my tent is closed too. When the public are gone I eat modern food, with a fork! :shock:
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:18 pm
Forum: 1715-1810
Topic: Beards in the 18th century
Replies: 82
Views: 26477

Foxe wrote:
Fox wrote:...many nautical captains are famed eponymously for their facial hair.
When you say "many" you mean "one" don't you? :lol:
If I think more carefully, and release we're talking non-fiction....
then yes, just the one.
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:12 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Agincourt 1415 - with a difference
Replies: 21
Views: 4387

I'd love to come and see it, sounds fantastic. I certainly don't have early 15thC kit to that standard yet (particulalry sharps). I think you'll be lucky if it's not just you and three other people. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, and wish you the best of luck. If you can pull it off then it wi...
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:30 pm
Forum: 1715-1810
Topic: Beards in the 18th century
Replies: 82
Views: 26477

CUBA!

What do you think the chances of a primary, or even solid looking secondary, source are?
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:53 pm
Forum: 1715-1810
Topic: Beards in the 18th century
Replies: 82
Views: 26477

I went looking for a James II beard. I couldn't find any on anyone of note; Charles II takes the throne and they evaporate, like morning mist, presuambly to remain only on thugs and rapscallions. As I recall, the Dutch usually had blue coats, but some may have had red. And that's as far as I got; no...
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:35 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Are we arguing against each other, but on the same side of the argument again?
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:20 pm
Forum: 1715-1810
Topic: Beards in the 18th century
Replies: 82
Views: 26477

Pirates are away from the norm. Was it blackbeard who had buring slow match in his beard to scare the bejesus out of people in the late c17th (a shaven period) In these cases it could be done as an anti social thing for shock value (at a guess) which I could imagine would come in handy when piratin...
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:39 am
Forum: 1715-1810
Topic: Beards in the 18th century
Replies: 82
Views: 26477

Well, this is you're fault, you pointed me here.... How does this apply in a naval context? I'm thinking particularly in the context emerging from the GAoP, where clearly many nautical captains are famed eponymously for their facial hair. Is there a more general change in the fashionability of facia...
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:49 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Why can't academic historians ever get it right?
Replies: 30
Views: 8013

For instance: detail of a chainmail hood - note that the links are butted together rather than being riveted. Butted mail, being much cheaper, was probably more common than rivet mail. This is sort of true [not sure if cheapness is the reason] at certain times in history in certain places, but not ...
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:41 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

It is a reasonable one based on the fact that wool was a cash crop as it were and what use is a sheepskin on the floor when it could be sold? I would certainly subscribe to that more than mere whim of having to stand on. It all boils down to, again, that we do know what they used but spend more tim...
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:58 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Scots DID wear KILTS.. PRE-1600 by a long way
Replies: 95
Views: 18880

Tuppence wrote:
I'm afraid in that case a quarter of posters on LH are trolls...
and do you see me disagreeing with that?
Would Nigel like a bridge for Christmas? :wink: :lol:
by Fox
Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:56 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Wool is too valuable to throw on the floor - even when you slaughter the sheep at the end of it's life the wool I think would be sheared off first. Hence no fleecy skin for the floor. That would be my thought on the matter anyway. But is that view consistent with other evidence and information pres...
by Fox
Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Why can't academic historians ever get it right?
Replies: 30
Views: 8013

You should probably say that the book is called The Second Scottish Wars of Independence otherwise some of your objections make no sense. For instance: detail of a chainmail hood - note that the links are butted together rather than being riveted. Butted mail, being much cheaper, was probably more c...
by Fox
Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:25 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: WOTR Alleigences.
Replies: 76
Views: 11984

Well, I'm a little nervous of speaking, if you're the Dave Key I'm assuming you are, because your historic knowledge has proved to be very in depth and accademic in the past. Nevertheless, and not minding whether I appear an idiot or not..... (1) At Barnet, I'm sure I read a moon was mistaken for a ...
by Fox
Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:13 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Its the very reason why campaigns had a season- to ensure you didn't have to campaign in winter. Absolutely, travel was slower, and undoubtedly some did fall victim to the conditions. Nevertheless, winter campaigning did occur, and you couldn't guarentee what buildings you would reach at the end of...
by Fox
Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Well doesn't this thread raise a number of issues. First: Jelly has told us all that anyone with sheepskins on the floor would clearly be wrong. But he doesn't have a good reason, except that it isn't directly provinancable, and that medieval people didn't need luxuries. That strikes me as very frag...
by Fox
Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:28 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Scots DID wear KILTS.. PRE-1600 by a long way
Replies: 95
Views: 18880

Firstly let me declare my colours. I'm an Englishman, a bog-hopping fenlander as it happens, and to my knowledge while I have some Welsh blood, I have none Scots. I couldn't give a monkeys about kilts, historical or otherwise, except as a modern fashionable garment that let's the ladies see my legs ...
by Fox
Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:00 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Well, I'm glad it wasn't just me.

Having established that no one else seems to know the reason behind the original post, is there any chance of enlightenment?

And the explanation had better not be a wooly one...

[I'll get me coat....]
by Fox
Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:21 am
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Sheepskins
Replies: 99
Views: 18574

Re: Sheepskins

Urgh How many re-enactors fall into the trap of having sheepskins on their tent floors? Why? Think about it. :x F.A.M.C.C. You'll hav to PM me to find out what FAMCC means as I can't possibly reveal it here :evil: Well aren't you full of mystery. Random acronyms and everything. I don't put sheepski...
by Fox
Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:45 pm
Forum: 1100-1500
Topic: Medieval money
Replies: 12
Views: 3306

Try PMing Dave the Moneyer (username: davetmoneyer).

He is probably the countries leading expert on all things muddy-evil and coiny.

He's even made coins for the Royal Mint.
by Fox
Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:43 am
Forum: Pictures
Topic: more Blore heath
Replies: 20
Views: 4199

Thanks.

Ha. There's even a St. Dysmas badge visible in one shot.
by Fox
Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 am
Forum: Pictures
Topic: Blore Heath 2007
Replies: 10
Views: 2013

Nice pictures.

Cat, see the F&G thread; it didn't deserve to be tucked away on here.
by Fox
Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:08 am
Forum: Pictures
Topic: Caldicot Photos
Replies: 6
Views: 2339

Ha! You even have a mouse on.
[and Thanks]
by Fox
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:36 pm
Forum: Pictures
Topic: Caldicot Photos
Replies: 6
Views: 2339

MissTrebuchet wrote:Aah I have finally got myself in pictures!

Great meeting you Claire, and you also Lucy :D

Ax
Ahh! Then who the bl**dy hell are you, then?
by Fox
Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:06 am
Forum: General History
Topic: Money for old rope ...
Replies: 11
Views: 2186

Re: Money for old rope ...

RottenCad wrote:...Chatting to Conquest...
You want to be careful about that. I got a very undeserved reputation for being shouty.
by Fox
Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:04 am
Forum: General History
Topic: First or Third Person LH?
Replies: 44
Views: 8565

I'm happy to do first person for stuff that is not stictly historically accurate, in other words I'll do pantomime, for combat displays, battles and so on. But for "show and tell" it's third person every time. From the first person it's simply impossible to use modern references to help explain stuff.
by Fox
Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:26 am
Forum: Pictures
Topic: tannenberg 2007 poland
Replies: 17
Views: 3187

lidimy wrote:I know - the first mead I tried was Czech :wink:
Young Lady! You're too young to be drinking.

You wouldn't have found me drinking myself to unconciousness at your age (unless you looked behind the sofa).
by Fox
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:28 pm
Forum: Pictures
Topic: tannenberg 2007 poland
Replies: 17
Views: 3187

Very good. :lol: